Seema Husain, Ph.D.
Center for Applied Genomics
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, Newark NJ (2004-2005)
- Post-doctoral fellow, Eukaryotic Gene Expression Laboratory, National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi, India and School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
- Ph. D. in Biochemistry, AMU, Aligarh, India
- M. Phil. in Biochemistry, AMU, Aligarh, India
- M. Sc. in Biochemistry, AMU, Aligarh, India
- B.Sc. (Hons) in Biochemistry, AMU, Aligarh, India
Research Associate, Center for Applied Genomics, Institute of Genomic Medicine, UMDNJ, Newark, NJ.
Research Associate, Center for Human and Molecular Genetics UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ
Post-doctoral fellow: Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, UMDNJ- New Jersey Medical School, Newark NJ
Post-doctoral fellow: Eukaryotic Gene Expression Laboratory, National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi, India and School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
- ABMG-Accredited Medical Genetics Training Program:
Clinical Molecular Genetics Laboratory Fellowship July 2005 – June 2008
University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey; New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey
- Senior Research Fellowship, Department of Biochemistry, AMU, supported by the University Grants Commission, New Delhi, India 1995-1998.
- Junior Research Fellowship, Department of Biochemistry, AMU, supported by Joint Research Project sanctioned by European Economic community (EEC) under the International Scientific Co-operation Program 1993-1994.
- Qualified Graduate Aptitude test in Engineering GATE - 1993 conducted by Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India.
- Seema Husain, Cagri Yildirim-Toruner, Justin P. Rubio, Judith Field, The Southern MS Genetics Consortium, Marvin Schwalb, Stuart Cook, Marcella Devoto, and Emilia Vitale. (2008) Variants of ST8SIA1 Are Associated with Risk of Developing Multiple Sclerosis. PLoS ONE. 3(7): e2653.
- Malfitano, A:M., Toruner, G.A., Gazzerro, P., Laezza, C., Husain, S., Eletto, D., Orlando, P., De Petrocellis, L., Terskiy, A., Schwalb, M., Vitale, E., Bifulco, M. (2007) Arvanil and anandamide up-regulate CD36 expression in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Immunol. Lett. 109:145-154.
- Noman Siddiqi, Mohammed Shamim, Seema Husain, Rakesh Kumar Choudhary, Niyaz Ahmad, Prachee, Sharmistha Banerjee, G.R. Savithri, Mahfooz Alam, Niteen Pathak, Amol Amin, Mohammed Hanief, V.M. Katoch, S.K.Sharma and Seyed E. Hasnain, Molecular characterization of multidrug-resistant Isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from patients in north India (2002) Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 46, No. 2, 443-450.
- Husain, S. and Hadi, S.M. (1998) DNA breakage by L-DOPA and Cu(II): breakage by melanin and biological activity of the reaction. Mutation Research 397:161-168.
- Shamsi, F.A., Husain, S. and Hadi, S.M. (1996) DNA breakage by uric and Cu(II); Binding of uric acid to DNA and biological activity of the reaction. Journal of Biochemical Toxicology 11: 67-71.
- Husain, S. and Hadi, S.M. (1993) Strand scission in DNA induced by L-DOPA in the presence of Cu(II). FEBS Letters, 364:75-78.
Presentations and Posters
- S. Husain, C.Yildirim-Toruner, JP. Rubio, J. Field, The Southern MS Genetics Consortium, M. Schwalb, S. Cook, M. Devoto, E. Vitale. Evidence for ST8SIA1 gene as a risk factor for Multiple Sclerosis. World congress on treatment and research in multiple sclerosis. ACTRIMS+ECTRIMS+LACTRIMS. September 17-20, 2008. Montreal, Canada.
- S. Husain, M. Schwalb, S. Cook, E. Vitale. Multiple Sclerosis: Defect on GD3 synthase as a factor determining B-cell response. European Journal of Human Genetics, June 2007. Volume15. Supplement 1, P0815, pp 215
- E. Vitale, C Yildririm-Toruner, G. Mahon, S. Husain, G. Toruner, M. Schwalb, S. Cook. A familial form of multiple sclerosis showing impaired ganglioside synthesis. Neurology (Supplement 2). 2006 66 (5):A94
- E. Vitale, C Yildririm-Toruner, S. Husain, G. Toruner, M. Schwalb, S. Cook. A change in ganglioside synthesis associated with pathological mechanism in a familial form of multiple sclerosis. 11 th International congress of Human Genetics. August 6-10, 2006. Brisbane, Australia. 1800, pp 342.
- A. Malfitano, G. Toruner, C Laezza, S. Husain, P. Gazzerro, M. Bifulco, E. Vitale. Microarray analysis identifies up regulation of CD36 in human PBMC treated with endocannabinoids European Journal of Human Genetics, May 2006. Volume 14 Supplement 1, P0517, pp 210.
- E. Vitale, C Yildririm-Toruner, S. Husain, G. Toruner, M. Schwalb, S. Cook. Impaired ganglioside synthesis involved with pathogenic mechanism in a familial form of multiple Sclerosis. Oral Presentation. European Journal of Human Genetics, May 2006. Volume 14 Supplement 1, C 20, pp85
- SE. Hasnain, N. Siddiqi, S. Husain, RK. Chaudhary and N. Ahmad. MDR tuberculosis in India: New Insight on Genetics of Pathogen Resistance and Molecular Epidemiology (1999). Abstract. The 4th International Workshop on Molecular Epidemiology and Evolutionary Genetics of Infectious Disease-MEEGID-4 (Momen H, Lal A, Tibayrenc M, Organizers) Dakar, Senegal.
- S.M. Hadi, S Husain, F.A. Shamsi, S.F. Asad and S. Singh. DNA damage mechanisms by endogenous substrates (1997). Abstract. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Free Radicals in Medicine and Biology. Udaipur, India.
- S.M. Hadi and S Husain, L-DOPA-Cu(II) catalyzed DNA degradation possible tool for site directed DNA cleavage, presented at International Conference on Eukaryotic Expression vector systems. Biology and Application, held between February 4-8, 1996, New Delhi, India Abs. No.CL-1, pp56